Monday, December 24, 2007

Happy Christmas Year Round--Except To The Evil Ones

"A Christmas candle
Is a lovely thing;
It makes no noise at all,
But softly gives itself away;
While quite unselfish,
It grows small."
- Eva K. Logue

"I sometimes think we expect too much of Christmas Day. We try to crowd into it the long arrears of kindliness and humanity of the whole year. As for me, I like to take my Christmas a little at a time, all through the year. And thus I drift along into the holidays -– let them overtake me unexpectedly -– waking up some fine morning and suddenly saying to myself:  'Why, this is Christmas Day!'"
-- Ray Stannard Baker, muckraker and national hero, early 1900s Reform Era

"I wish we could put up some of the Christmas spirit in jars and open a jar of it every month."
-- Harlan Miller

"And the Grinch, with his Grinch-feet ice cold in the snow, stood puzzling and puzzling, how could it be so? It came without ribbons. It came without tags. It came without packages, boxes or bags. And he puzzled and puzzled 'till his puzzler was sore. Then the Grinch thought of something he hadn't before. What if Christmas, he thought, doesn't come from a store? What if Christmas, perhaps, means a little bit more?"
--Dr. Seuss

"Christmas is forced upon a reluctant and disgusted nation by the shopkeepers and the press; on its own merits it would wither and shrivel in the fiery breath of universal hatred."
-- George Bernard Shaw

"And in despair I bow'd my head:
"There is no peace on earth," I said,
"For hate is strong, and mocks the song
Of peace on earth, good will to men."
-- Henry Wadsworth Longfellow

"I was raised the old-fashioned way, with a stern set of moral principles: Never lie, cheat, steal or knowingly spread a venereal disease. Never speed up to hit a pedestrian or stop to kick a pedestrian who has already been hit. From which it followed, of course, that one would never ever -- on pain of deletion from dozens of Christmas card lists across the country -- vote Republican.
-- Barbara Ehrenreich

"God is creation, love, and reason in all the seasons of humankind. She never forgives evil, and neither do I."
-- Nemesis Griffon

-------------------------

-- by Stephen Neitzke
AAIGMBTY

1 Comments:

At 5/19/2008 10:33 AM, Blogger Larry said...

I love Christmas and "celebrate" year round ... thinking of the birth of Jesus. By the way, I am posting a Christmas site based on the new book "A Scrapbook of Christmas Firsts" which emphasizes a stress-free Christmas. It is
www.christmas-scrapbook.info
-- check it out.
Larry
PS Christmas is not a day on the calendar but a frame of mind.

 

Post a Comment

<< Home